Beautiful, blessed beings

So, here I sit, on my couch. My body and hair are clean, my hair is blown dry and is waiting to be primped. You see, I'm perfectly timing my day, because I have a performance this evening. This is a ritual for me, as I suffer from performance anxiety, so in order to cope, I learned what I should and should no do on performance day if I can at all help it. Relaxing at home is what I should do. Everything else is what I should not do. Luckily, I didn't have anything to do until my performance that evening, so my plan was to relax.

Now, let's just start by saying that the day began rather well. I woke up to snuggles with my beautiful baby boys (they would say. "Mom! We're not babies!" if they were reading this, but they're not, so I can say what I want). Got up and did my morning kitchen routine consisting of making coffee, popping popcorn (real, not microwaved) for my kids school snack, making my kids breakfast and making their lunches. It's actually a routine I don't mind. It gives my body a chance to wake up, and I actually enjoy the structure of it. I did my normal checking up on the boys to make sure they were indeed getting dressed and not sitting on the floor of their room, poking each other, or wrestling. They were not. They did a great job getting dressed and in fact received a reward from me (a quarter) for such a smooth morning - trust me it doesn't happen often. We went out to the garage and squeezed in to the car (our garage is muy small). Then, it happened. my car wouldn't start.

Refer to above notes on what I should and shouldn't do on performance days. This could have been very bad, very bad indeed. However, instead of panicking, I got out of my car, cleared all the obstacles that I could, and like a ninja squeeezeed through tiny spots between my car and the wall of my garage, and climbed on top of my car to get to the hood and my car charger ( I have one of the chargeable ones that you don't need another car for - great since I certainly couldn't fit another car in my garage!) One thing, the battery charger wasn't charged. Womp wah. Another opportunity for panic! Nope. I calmly plugged it in to charge, asked Joseph to get in my purse and hand me my phone. I called the school and said they'd be late, called Sleeping Beauty (my momma :)) and asked if she could take them to school. She of course said yes, like she always does. (Have I mentioned how much I love my mom. She rocks. )
My mom came and got the kids in a jiffy, took them to school and on her way back called me and asked if I'd like to go to breakfast. I didn't want to exit my house as I still had pajamas on, so I said no, but I would be happy to make some if she'd like to come over but I needed some eggs. So, my lovely mother, went to the grocery store and picked me up eggs and an ever growing list of other things I needed while she was there. She's awesome. Did I mention that? We had a lovely breakfast of homemade waffles, turkey bacon, eggs and coffee and  we chatted. I really enjoyed spending time with her and she even helped me clean up my kitchen mess!

Here's the deal kids. My life has been insane the last few years. Right now is a very pivotal time for me. I'm in my last semester of graduate school, so that means comprehensive exams (2 sets), a graduate recital and all of my other coursework. Not to mention applying for jobs, knowing we'll probably be moving this summer depending on where I get a job, and trying not to panic about the drastic change that my life is about to make.. again. I have struggled immensely, but I have also grown by leaps and bounds. Really, I have. I look back and think how something like my car not starting on a performance day would have wrecked me not too very long ago. Not so today. Maybe it is because I have become SO incredibly thankful for all that is good in my life, that the bad just seems like an opportunity for greatness to shine through. But the greatness did not shine through me, today it was through my mother. She truly blessed me today with her love and support. You see this is not something that is abnormal for her. She is constant. Always, always there when I need her. She knows intuitively when I need help, and she has my back at all times. Mothers are beautiful and blessed beings. And, guess what, I am so happy that my car didn't start today.

Comments

Popular Posts