For Good

There are people in life that cross paths at just the right time, and whether or not they are physically present, they are always there.

Upon first reading, most would think of the positive people that have entered into their lives. Most would not then turn their attention to the negative ones. 

Today's post is about both. 

I am not a social person and don't find many people I connect with. I'm a different bird. I don't like small talk, I'd rather get down to the meat of who someone really is before entering into a three part conversation that goes something like this: "Hi, how are you?", "I'm good! How are you?", "Good!". End of conversation while first person walks away. I am usually the one to add a fourth part to the conversation, "That's great!" I try not to sound sarcastic, but sometimes it doesn't work. 

That being said, I have wonderful friends. I have small circle of close ones and some are even related to me.

There comes a time in life where friendships are examined. You find that all are friends, but on varying levels. There are the friends that you can talk to about anything, listen to you no matter what, give sound advice, have fun with and that you know are always there for you. Then, there are the friends that only contact you when they need something, that have to go whenever you start to talk about something important to you, and/or you know you can't rely on. Not that you haven't tried, that person just rarely or never comes through. Maybe they aren't capable of a two sided friendship, because it's not that they don't care about you, they just care about themselves more, or at least that's what you tell yourself. 

Friendships examined, lines drawn in the sand, niceties tossed out the window... the exhaustion and disappointment of being in a one sided friendship has to end at some point. Sometimes you have to say no to people who aren't good for you and make them an acquaintance with a history.

The question of why that person entered into your life is then posed. I do not believe in coincidences. Everyone and everything serves a purpose and has a lesson to teach us. Some friendships are in your life for a short period of time, others longer. People evolve, friendships evolve, decisions have to be made not for the person you were in the past, but for who you are today and who you strive to be in the future. No matter how they end up, friendships are always good in the beginning, and all end up for the good somehow. 


I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn.
And we are lead to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them.
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you.

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun,
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you.
I have been changed for good.


It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime.
So, let me say before we part:
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you'll have rewritten mine
By being my friend.

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea.
Like a seed dropped by a sky bird
In a distant wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you...

Because I knew you...

I have been changed for good.

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done,
You blamed me for.

But then,
I guess,
We know there's blame to share.

And none of it seems to matter anymore.
Like a comet pulled from orbit
(Like a ship blown from its mooring)
As it passes a sun.
(By a wind off the sea)
Like a stream that meets a boulder
(Like a seed dropped by bird)
Halfway through the wood.
(In the wood)
Who can say if I've been changed for the better.
I do believe I have been changed for the better.

And because I knew you...

Because I knew you...

Because I knew you
I have been changed...
For good.

Comments

Popular Posts