It's the Little Things

Amateur night. That's what Valentine's Day (evening) is. Days like today frustrate me. For the love of all things beautiful, someone please explain to me why today is the only day many people are given cards, gifts, flowers and candy, all in an attempt to prove love. To me, this isn't an act of love. It's a forced thing that our society says should be done. Sure, you can view this day as one of showing everyone you love, romantically and not romantically, how much you care. That's great, I'm not saying you shouldn't. Heaven forbid the people you love aren't shown this on a day that everyone else is. Talk about a let down. What I am saying, is that if you care about someone, love or not, it should be shown on more than just one day a year. It doesn't have to be gifts, flowers, candy etc. Small things, like saying I appreciate you, I think of you often, you look nice, thank you, small thoughtful surprises, finding out what makes that person tick, their love language, etc., these are the way to the heart, and to sustaining love and affection. On that note, don't forget that,  "It's the little things you do together, do together, do together, that make perfect relationships.." (Don't look it up and read the rest of the lyrics. But, it is by one of my favorite composers, and from one of my favorite musicals. Now that you want to, it's from Stephen Sondheim's musical, Company. )

Oh, and by the way, this is not a post of bitterness by any means. I am far from bitter today. In fact, I have two valentines. They're younger than me, but very handsome, affectionate, and love me "to infinity and beyond and all the way back." Plus I can steal their candy when they get home and *bonus* they go to bed early leaving me with a silent house until I decide to go to bed myself. It's the little things. ;)

Happy Amateur.. I mean, Valentine's Day loves. I love every one of you, and hope that you are shown everyday how much you are loved.

Comments

Popular Posts